A few months back I went over to my friend’s place to help her out in preparing for a party. Being experienced with handling knives, I wanted to help her with slicing up the ingredients. Surprisingly, she handed me a Shun Sora knife!
Now you might wonder why is it surprising? Because Shun Sora knives are one of the finest quality knives out there. How delicately and precisely they are crafted is beyond par.
However, what was more surprising thats my friend didn’t know this. Seeing how amazed I was, she asked for a shun sora review. If you’re here, then you are also interested to know more about Shun knives, so let’s dive in!
Why Shun Sora Knife is Different From Other Chef’s Knife?
So, what makes the Shun Sora line different from other knives you may ask. It’s simply the feel and essence of the knives. Words may not be enough to write a proper Shun Sora knife review.
Compared to most other knives used in the industry, the Sora line excels in most aspects. Shun Sora blades tend to be thinner and lighter while providing unparalleled durability.
Apart from that, the sharpness of Sora knives is a class above most other blades. If you use one yourself, you will not need more words to understand. Even the most inexperienced persons will easily understand the smoothness of a Shun Sora knife.
What is the best Shun Sora Knife?
Before knowing about the best Sora knife, a few words about Shun itself. The name is pronounced as “shoon”, which comes from Japanese and means the moment at which food ascends to perfection! For a Japanese brand, it is only fitting to have a name like this.
Now no knife of the Sora line lacks in any aspect when compared to one another. Yet, if a best Sora knife needs to be picked, we would none other than the 8’inch Shun Sora Chef’s Knife. This knife is preferred by chefs all around the globe.
For more details about why this knife is called the best, read till the end of this to know. This Shun Sora knives review has it all covered in one place for you.
Top 5 Shun Sora Review
You too want a Shun Sora knife at this point. Don’t worry, because we got you covered! You’ll find some of the best Shun Sora knives review to help you in picking which knife you should get for yourself.
If someone is writing a Shun Sora knife Set review, it would be a crime to not mention this amazing set. For every bit of your culinary needs, the 6-piece block set is a complete package. This set has everything that you’ll require.
Using a Pairing knife of 3.5-inch, slicing through anything feels like a piece of cake! From dicing, mincing, seeding, peeling, and many more this knife is perfect for precision cuts. The small shape provides more agility.
Next comes the Utility knife, 6-inch. This knife is perfect for cutting through almost everything. With this knife, you can make small cuts from the smallest ingredient like cheese to the largest like meats. It is a combination of precision and power.
Then there is our top pick, the 8-inch Chef’s Knife. This is an all-purpose knife. This knife itself has a different name of its own in Japan. It is called Gyuto. Slice through anything effectively with this amazing knife.
I use the 8-inch Chef’s knife a lot. Using it is an absolute joy. Once you get accustomed to the knife, it will move naturally in your hands. If you’re looking for a knife set, then you should consider getting this one!
The set comes with a Shun Classic Combination Honing Steel. This helps in realigning the curved bit of the blade. Honing regularly ensures top-notch sharpness of the blades.
- Comfortable and elegant handles
- Edges retain their sharpness and shape even after prolonged use
- Affordable price if you’re going to buy multiple types of Sora knives
- The set provides a variety of knives to use for different purposes
- The basic and simple design makes it look less attractive
- Requires periodic maintenance for the blades to retain the curve and angles
The 5-piece student set of Shun Sora knives is the go-to choice if you are always on the move. This set packs knives for all sorts of uses. From delicate and precise cuts to large cuts, you can find knives that can be used for everything.
This set includes knives from none other than the unique Sora series. Delicate cutlery boasting top-notch sharpness, usability, and durability has the sleekest and professional design out there. And all that for a fairly inexpensive price as well.
The student set comes with three of the most essential knives from the Sora line. The 3.5-inch Stainless Chef’s Paring Knife, 9-inch Break Knife, and the signature Classic Sora Honing Steel.
Every blade in the set is carefully hand-crafted with the highest grade steel for top-notch performance. Utilizing the unique Composite Blade technology of Shun knives, these knives are on a completely different level.
The 5-piece student set also comes with a stylish knife roll. The stunningly stylish knife roll made of is fully zippered. This roll also has additional space to pack 8-additional knives at your convenience.
Buyers will also get a shoulder pad with the knife set. All to increase the quality of life and make it easier and much more comfortable.
The Shun Honing Steel provided in the set comes with an angle guide. This is to ensure that you can sharpen and hone your knives properly. For Shun knives, it’s 16-degrees. This is what allows the Shun knives to be much smoother.
- Lightweight and portable
- Proprietary composite blade technology provides top performing knives
- Each knife utilizes VG10 cutting core
- 16-degree double bevel makes the knife slice through anything with ease
- The knives require to be maintained and used correctly to prolong the lifespan
- The 5-piece student set is not a good choice if you need to cut larger food or ingredients
This whole review would be completely incomplete if the Shun Sora Chef Knife review isn’t included. The 8-inch Shun Sora Chef’s Knife is a class above the rest.
We believe that that this knife is a must-have for any knife enthusiast. Chefs, cooks, and culinary students alike. The Shun Sora Chef’s Knife has an elegant and sleek look. This differentiates itself clearly from other professional knives.
Each unit of this kitchen knife is carefully hand-crafted in Japan. Years of experienced and trained craftsmanship produce only the best of the best knives out there.
This knife also uses the Shun composite blade technology. Utilizing the tri-layered cutting core, VG10 as its staple, the Sora Chef’s Knife outputs outstanding performance. The blade is also complemented with the 420J Stainless Polishing to top it off.
The Shun Sora knives are built with their signature San Mai edge. The VG10 core has one layer clad on both sides. This is what makes up the San Mai edge. This technique gives the blade more resistance and longevity while keeping top-notch sharpness.
Handles of the signature Sora Chef’s Knife are of traditional design. Built with a thermoplastic elastomer (TPE), the handles provide unmatched grip, easy maintenance, and balance.
There’s a Shun logo at the end of the handle. The logo is of stainless steel and precise weight measures help in balancing out the knife. Overall, creates an exquisite look for this magnificent knife.
- Visually striking design with a highly refined finish
- Extremely durable handle
- Easy to use and maneuver
- A great pick for its performance compared to its price
- It’s not a full tang knife
- The knife and handle meet point tend to accumulate rust quicker
The 9-inch Bread Knife of Shun Sora series is worthy of mention. From the basic outlook to its outstanding performance in culinary use, this knife does not lack behind in any aspect.
As it’s a bread knife, the knife-edge is serrated to make it easier to cut through crusts and pastries alike. The serrations are carefully carved in low frequency and wide. This sole feature distinguishes the Shun Sora bread knife from other knives.
The serrated knife edge has serrations in both forward and backward directions. So, if you’re trying to slice through something, each stroke you do forward or backward will offer exceptional cutting power.
Such serrated-edged knives are much easier to use compared to one-direction serrated knives. This improves the cutting experience and makes it more enjoyable as you’ll be exerting less energy and a small number of cuts.
Similar to the 8-inch Shun Sora Chef’s Knife, the knife handle is made of TPE/PP mix. This combination makes the handle much durable and lightweight. The handle is shaped to make it easily controllable and comfortable.
A 9-inch Shun Sora Bread Knife is an excellent choice for personal or professional use. If you think of gifting your significant other or a cook, don’t hesitate to choose this magnificent knife. This will surely make them happy!
- San Mai cutting edge provides great efficiency and power
- Easy wash and handle
- Ideal choice to have in your kitchen arsenal
- Serrated edges provide a smoother and easier cutting experience
- The handle feels slightly wobbly because of plastic and semi-hollow make
- Less flexibility makes it prone to snapping when bent
Another special mention goes to the 6-inch Utility Knife of the Shun Sora line. This knife is ideal and a must-have kitchen knife for cooks, culinary students, and enthusiasts alike.
The utility knife is small and compact. This makes the knife perfect for use on cutting boards. It is a small multi-tasking knife. The knife offers the deadly precision of paring knives while also being as versatile as a chef’s knife.
With the multi-purpose utility knife, you can achieve anything in your kitchen. Dicing, slicing, cutting, trimming, and all become a piece of cake. A skilled chef can nimbly cut and control the blade to utmost precision.
A traditional Japanese design on the handle gives it a classy and elegant look. Using the same TPE/PP blend of polymer makes the handle lightweight yet durable. It also provides great maneuverability.
The blade is a composite of two parts. Each section is cut using lasers. This gives the blade a very sharp edge from the get-go. The separate sections are joined by braze welding.
If you look at the sharp side of the knife, you’ll notice a wave-like pattern from the tip to the back end of the knife. This wavy pattern is the juncture of two blade sections.
The wave-like pattern has another meaning as well. This pattern can be found in old Japanese swords. More precisely the Katana’s used by samurais. This is called Hamon lines. It represents the sharpness of the blades.
- Versatile and multi-purpose knife
- Premium quality blade material provides great durability
- Handcrafted by skilled craftsmen making each blade unique
- Shun Sora unique cutting angle of 16-degrees provide extremely sharpness
- The small blade size may not be suitable for everyone
- It is a hidden tang (not full tang), this might off-balance some users
Shun Sora Vs Classic
Shun classic is the old and original line of Shun knives. The primary difference between the two lines is the base material. The Sora line uses VG10 whereas the Classic line uses VG Max. In comparison, while VG Max is marginally harder, VG10 holds the gold standard.
In terms of sharpness, neither lines lack. The 16-degree angled edge comes straight out of the factory. This requires periodic maintenance and honing to keep in shape.
The Sora blades are only partially tang but the Classic blades are full tang. This makes the classic blades more stable and firm. On the other hand, the Sora blades are a bit flexible.
Sora blades are entry-level professional-grade blades. It’s not the best, but worth every bit of your money. They are comparatively cheap and have a good blend of steel.
Classic blades are more professionally viable than Sora blades. While they are expensive, once you get yourself one, you’ll be glad that you did.
Knives are an important culinary tool. You will surely need at least a couple of knives suited for different purposes in your kitchen. So you will need knives that are good and will help you improve your skills.
You can buy basic knives but most often, they will accumulate rust more often. The blades will not be as sharp as you’ll expect and end up facing more trouble.
This Shun Sora review is an extensive guide to buying knives of the Sora line. If you’re starting your culinary career or if you are just an avid cook, these knives will be just perfect for you to get started.
- The 5 Best Berghoff Knives Review in 2021 with Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Shun Sora Review in 2021 | Budget-Friendly Premium Knife
- 5 Best Ginsu knives review 2021 (Cheap But High-Quality Knife)
- 9 Best Kershaw Leek Review 2021 | USA Made EDC Knife
- 10 Best Shun Kanso Review 2021 | High Quality and Affordable Knife
- The 10 Best Self Sharpening knife set review for beginners in 2021
- The 10 Best 7 inch Chef Knife Review in 2021: Top Branded knife
- 10 Best Knife to Cut Tomatoes in 2021 for Slicing and Dicing
- 10 Best Knife for Butchering Deer in 2021
- Top 10 Best knife for cutting vegetables in 2021
- Top 10 Best Knife for Slicing Brisket in 2021 | Perfect for Home Cook
- 10 Best Boning Knife for Deer in 2021 with Awesome Buying Guides
- 10 Best Yanagiba Knife Reviews in 2020 for Precision Slicing of Sashimi
- Best Knife Bag for Chef in 2021 that’s perfect Knife Storage Solution
- 10 Best Cheese Knife Set in 2021 ( Review and Buyer’s Guide)
- Best Ceramic Knives Set review 2021 for sharpening hassle-free life
- 10 Best Deba Knife to make Cutting, Slicing, & Boning Easy like a Breeze Every Day
- 10 Best Electric Knife for Brisket 2020 with Review & Buying Guide
- The 10 Best Knife Block Set Reviews in 2021 ( Comparision and Buyer’s Guide )
- The 10 Best Damascus Chef Knife Review in 2021 ( Buyer’s Guide)
- 10 Best Knife for Cutting Meat 2021- Review & Buying Guides
- The 10 Best Gyuto Knife to Buy in 2021 (Review & Buyer’s Guide )
- 10 Best Electric Fillet Knife in 2021 for Smooth Filleting
- 10 Best Oyster Shucking Knife in 2021 with Review & Buying Guides
- Top 10 Best Fishing Pocket Knife in 2021 with Review & Buying Guide
- 10 Best Knife for Trimming Brisket in 2021 with Review & Buying Guide
- Top 10 Best Sushi Knife Sets in 2021 (Review & Buying Guides)
- 10 Best dishwasher safe knife set in 2021 ( Review & Buying Guides)
- Best Tanto Knife in 2021 (Review & Buying Guide)
- 10 Best Fillet Knife for Salmon 2021 (Review & Buying Guide)
- Top 10 Best Japanese Knife Block Sets in 2021
I am Luna L. Rusk, a passionate content writer. Always I provide accurate product reviews and information for quicker shopping. I love to cook for my family. In my leisure time, I love spending time with chefs for learning new cooking.