Are you fond of catfish and imagine licking your hands with the curry? You can surely cook it and have delicious dishes of more than 3000 species of catfish. You should know how to process them before cooking; find out how to fillet a catfish with an electric knife.
However, you should be very careful while skinning or filleting the fish; once I got injured while doing the process. Moreover, I had no electric knife, and that’s why I faced more problems; I got suitable tools after facing such difficulties.
Therefore, the article will show you the steps, essential tips, and the best accessories to fillet correctly a catfish; please read it till the last.
How to Fillet a Fish with Knife: Step by Step
The necessary procedure to fillet a fish with an electric knife is almost the same for the maximum species, mostly large ones. However, let’s watch and follow the steps to fillet a large fish with an electric knife without wasting our time.
- First of all, you have to gather the necessary items for filleting and cleaning the fish, such as- gloves, knife, chopping board, icebag, and water; you may keep pilers for skinning.
- Next, you should kill the fishes if they are alive because it’s inhuman to cut a live one; you can either freeze or bleed them to death.
- After killing the fish, you should fillet and skin them before cooking; you may store them after processing. It’s better to It’s better to cook the fish curry right after processing; that provides a fresh taste and texture.
- Please cut off the fins from each fish; that’s not all; you should pull the skin and hold it with piler. After completing the skinning, you should cut the head and tail from the body.
- If you don’t want to skin it, then you must expose the fish’s back; take the ribs out and slowly proceed towards the tail.
- You can cut the fish into 2-equal halves, follow the same method on both sides; be careful, and don’t put excessive pressure.
- Take the flesh and separate the dirt before cooking; that’s the process of cleaning and filleting.
How to Fillet a Catfish with an Electric Knife: Know the Basic Method
Please get a catfish (channel) and choose a recipe for your desired dish; no matter which way you are preparing it, you should fillet it. Follow these 3- easy steps to do your task; let’s see how to fillet a channel catfish because it resembles most of the species.
- If you want to start the process from the top, you must chop the head off while preparing a dead catfish; on the other hand, you should start from the tail if it’s alive.
- It’s better to keep the fish alive after catching either in a water tub or in an iced place; the cold storage may sometimes freeze and kill the fishes. Therefore, many people prefer large with freshwater because they survive well there; kill them like mentioned in the 1st
- However, start peeling it from the top; you should cut the tail and fins before skinning and do everything with moderate pressure.
- Use a tool at the top skin so that you can easily access through the ribs, and don’t damage it anyhow. You should proceed slowly because the fish’s skin and spinal area are slightly slippery, especially when you have no electric knife.
- Keep gliding through the skin and slowly remove the tail if you haven’t killed the fish by cutting the lower portion; you can collect the rib bones while proceeding.
That’s how you can prepare your catfish for a boneless fresh flesh curry or barbeque; the reason behind showing the channel catfish because it’s ideal and similar to most other species.
How Can You Fillet a Catfish without Skinning It?
Surprisingly, you can process and fillet a catfish even without skinning it; but the question is how to do that? However, the professional chefs have shown the way to fillet a large catfish without removing the skin; let’s see the method:
- Collect the fishes and kill them; you should then put them into cold storage for a while before starting the process.
- However, cut the fins and guts very carefully, and tear the skin in the upper portion, near the head. The hole should be significant in order to collect the flesh and bones one by one; you should start working from the side.
- Keep inserting the sharp knife and start picking the fish’s edible parts, but don’t pressurize much; otherwise, it will damage, and the shape will ruin.
- After taking one side out, you have to carefully pick the bones and spines to avoid any damage to the bottom sided flesh.
- You should avoid the head and tail because they are not usually edible and fade the desired taste.
So, the process is relatively straightforward, but it’s necessary to be an expert to cut the portions correctly to get the perfect result.
Why Should I Choose Electric Knives to Fillet a Catfish?
The answer is quite simple; electric knives are sharper and perform better than the traditional ones, making them more preferred. However, it saves your time in cutting stuff; it takes half of the time that of a conventional knife.
What Is the Best Electric Fillet Knife for Catfish?
American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife is the best and leading brand; the manufacturers have launched some outstanding models for the customers. The brand has been a reliable one among the chefs and fisherman; there are more well-known companies.
It’s necessary to be an expert and keep practicing besides gathering the high-quality products you need. Moreover, knowing how to fillet a catfish with an electric knife is essential because you must prepare it well before marinating and cooking.
Catch the fishes from fresh water and keep them alive as long as possible; kill them before filleting because it protects the taste and nutrients. However, which knife and method you are using matters a lot because it ensures the ultimate quality.
I am Luna L. Rusk, a passionate content writer. Always I provide accurate product reviews and information for quicker shopping. I love to cook for my family. In my leisure time, I love spending time with chefs for learning new cooking.