Here is a scenario. It is the weekends, and you would rather wake up late and chill around the house in your pajamas. Maybe catch up on a series you have been watching. Or hey, maybe spend some quality time with your family.
Except there are some chores you need to be doing, and they for sure aren’t going to do themselves. To make your kitchen work more comfortable, we are trying to teach you how to use a handheld knife sharpener with this article.
The same problem can arise if you cannot use the knife sharpener. A dull device would be as unusable as ever, isn’t it?
And just so, if you want to learn about using this type of blade honing maneuver, this arena is for you. Luckily, we are going to inform you about the use of a knife sharpener.
What does Handheld Knife Sharpener mean?
These devices refer to fundamental level manual sharpeners. Also, they are just like an electric version. However, manual means you have to hone the cutting blade using your hands.
Usually, if you don’t use a costly knife, you can opt for this sharpener. Maybe you don’t have a lot of spare time to keep your kitchen tools in tip-top condition. Say your worries goodbye; you need only a couple of minutes.
Why would you use a professional knife sharpener?
You may find it dangerous to see a thriving knife in general. But a blunt one is much more terrible than a sharper blade.
When cutting something with this type of tedious slasher, the chances of it slipping are very high. So, let’s take a look at the details of how you can utilize a handheld blade sharpener professionally.
How to Use a Handheld Knife Sharpener?
Whenever you need to cut a vegetable, a dull blade can make your life miserable. Then you might think, “Gosh! If I only knew how to use a knife sharpener!”
It is good to know that you can solve this problem in just a few minutes. You do not have to be an expert in using this type of tool.
But you need to know how to perform this task efficiently with the best knife sharpener stone. Let’s look at the steps of using this manual machine one by one.
- First of all, take a good look at whether your knife is blunt.
- Try to cut something thin. If not, then it is time to sharpen this tool.
- Bring your sharpener and hold it tightly.
- Are you right-handed? Hold this manual machine in your left hand and vise versa.
- Start with the coarse slot first and insert your blade here. Then pull the knife out again with light pressure.
- Take a break for a few seconds and repeat this process.
- This way, your cutting blade will gradually become sharper. You can see for yourself if it is sharp enough!
- After that clean it with soapy water. Then wipe this tool with a dry towel and store it.
Once your knife is sharp, you can start using it again as usual. The whole process is so simple that you can do it without any complications.
If your knife becomes blunt again within a few days, you can reuse this process. However, many are seen to do this method differently. Therefore, it is advisable for you to do it quickly.
Here are some tips to keep your knife sharp
If you use a knife that is not in tip-top condition, it can be much more dangerous. And why don’t you hone it? Since the whole procedure can be done in a short time. You may have sharpened this cutting tool in a few minutes. Now, how can you use it in fantastic condition for a long time?
At this point, there are some guidelines that you can track to keep your knife top-notch.
1. Do not wash the knife with the dishwasher
If you don’t already know, identify that dishwasher detergent is harmful to knives. If you use this detergent for a while, the blade will become blunt. Even the cutter will lose its normal function.
So now the question may arise, what to wash your knife with? You need to wash it according to our previously described method. You do not need to work on any new process for this.
2. Use chopping board
Precisely what kind of surface you are cutting something with a knife on is very important. If the surface is not acceptable, then the blade can be blunt and even damaged.
It is best to use the chopping board available in the market. This type of board is made in such a way that your knife stays quite good.
3. Store the knife in the right place
If you stock the beloved blade in a wet place, it will be dented. Along with this, the sharp side will become blunt.
Also, you may be keeping the knife along with many other things. This practice can damage the knife blade. It is best if you keep it in a distinct drawer.
4. Take proper care of your knife
If you can take proper care of the knife, you can use it for a long time. For this, you need to follow the above tips. The key to keeping it upright is to wash it properly, dry it, and place it in the right spot.
Most professional chefs make their knives thriving before cutting anything. However, it is not always the case that they use handheld sharpeners. Instead, most of the time, they are seen using honing rods.
They use a sharpener only when their cutting tool is blunt. Now, if you ask, how long can a blade be kept in a top-notch manner like this? It is not possible to give the correct answer. It depends entirely on the quality of the blade and its intended use.
Best of luck with your knife!
We hope you’ve fully understood our discussion. There is only one thing you can do now. And that is, continually putting the methods into practice.
If you want to know more details, you can watch many videos online. You can also go to a professional chef for advice. Although now you all know how to use a handheld knife sharpener. It would be best if you also learn how to take care of it.
Good luck with your favorite cutting tool. Hopefully, an excellent sharp knife will make your kitchen experience much more beautiful and smoother.
- How to get rust off a pocket knife – Simple But Best 3 Ways
- How to Fillet a Catfish with an Electric Knife – Step by Step Guide with Essential Tips
- How can You Sharpen a Serrated Knife with an Electric Sharpener
- What are Deba Knives Used For- Types, Feature, and Maintenance
- How to use a handheld knife sharpener- 4 tips to keep your knife sharp
- How to Sharpen a Steak Knife – Pro Tips to Maintain the Sharpness!
- How to Clean a Sharpening Stone? -Learn Steps by Steps
- What’s the Perfect Thickness of Cutting Board for You Kitchen
- 4 Best Basic Knife Cuts Everyone Needs to Know
- How to Remove Rust from Stainless Steel Knives?
- How Many Types of Automatic Knife?
- How to Dispose of Kitchen Knives Safely (Read Before Uses)
- 6 Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Knives
- Different Types of Kitchen Knives and Their Uses
- Are magnetic knife racks good?
- 3 Best Way to Sharpen a Kitchen Knife at Home
- How Many Kitchen Knives Do You Need?
I am Luna L. Rusk, a passionate content writer. Always I provide accurate product reviews and information for quicker shopping. I love to cook for my family. In my leisure time, I love spending time with chefs for learning new cooking.